A short ferry ride transports you to this unspoiled National Seashore. Share the wide white beaches with wild horses grazing amidst the windswept dunes. Inland, majestic live oak and palmetto forests provide shelter for the wild horses, turkey, alligator, armadillo, deer and a tremendous variety of coastal birds. History abounds amidst tours of Plum Orchard and the mystical ruins of the once magnificent Carnegie Estate "Dungeness".
Cumberland Island is one of the Sea Islands. Cumberland is the largest in terms of continuously exposed land area of Georgia's barrier islands. Cumberland Island is really two islands—the island proper and Little Cumberland Island—connected by a marsh. It is located on the Atlantic Ocean off the Georgia coast and is part of Camden County. There is no bridge to the island. Visitors reach the island by way of the Cumberland Queen ferry, which runs twice a day to Cumberland Island from the mainland (St. Marys, Georgia).
Historically, Cumberland Island was in private hands, but large areas were deeded to the National Parks Foundation by members or heirs of the Carnegie family in 1971. Other lands in private ownership were purchased with funds provided by the Mellon Foundation and Congress, and in 1972 Cumberland Island was designated a national seashore.
The public areas of Cumberland Island are part of a national seashore managed by the National Park Service. Access is restricted to 300 people on the island at a time, and campers are allowed to stay no more than 7 nights. Visitors cannot bring vehicles or bikes on the ferry, and there are no paved roads or trails. Visitors walk everywhere they go, but Cumberland Island is less than six miles (10 km) wide at the widest point. The eastern seashore is 17.5 miles (28 km) of continuous beach. There are no stores on the island so you must bring your own food and water.
Things to see include:
- Dungeness ruins (Designed as a 59-room Scottish castle, which burned in a 1959 fire)
- Greyfield, built in 1900, now a private inn.
- Plum Orchard, donated to the National Park Service in 1972, which maintains it.
- Stafford Plantation, not currently maintained
- Ecosystems (Salt Marshes, Beaches, etc)
- Feral horses and other animals
- First African Baptist Church. Maintained by the National Park Service, this simple one-room frame structure, with 11 handmade pews and three windows on each side, was built in 1937 to replace an earlier 1893 structure.
- Great Rates & Excellent Value
- Free HOT Breakfast buffet - view listing
Quality hotel features & amenities:
- Interior corridor - 100% Smoke Free
- Free Reliable High Speed Internet connection
Comfortable elegantly appointed WELL LIT rooms include:
- 32” LCD Flat Panel TV with HBO, 150 Expanded Digital and HD cable channels – All Free
- Easy accessible electrical outlets
- Oversized Well Lit desk with ergonomic executive chair
- Lounge chair with ottoman
- Iron / Ironing Board
- and More!
- Business Center (Computer, printer, fax and copier)
- Fitness Center
- Valet & Guest Coin Laundry
- Meeting Facilities
- Outdoor Pool
- Friendly, knowledgeable staff and service
Convenient Location on I-95 at Exit 3
- Restaurants & Gas nearby
- Minutes from St Marys, GA
Cumberland Queen Ferry
107 West St Marys Street
St Marys, GA 31558
Phone: (912) 882-4335
Alt Phone: (877) 860-6787
(Cumberland Island - Official Website)